Thursday, April 19, 2007

Monday 16th April 2007


Someone asked me WHY? Why art?
I once described it, being an artist, as being some sort of affliction, the compulsion to create is so strong and consumes my mind constantly, it seems to feed from itself.
I can get quite irritable if I don’t create and develop the ideas that float around in my head. My sketchbook / ideas / workbook helps to concretise these thoughts, partly so I can’t forget them and to free up thinking space in my head. They are also a good record of what I am doing, my artistic process is important to me. A Diarist may have similar ideas. I remember disliking having to create a sketch book at Art College, having to follow a syllabus isn’t the same as recording free flowing thoughts and ideas.

When I am creating a piece of art words come to my mind which connect with the thing I am doing.

SIX WAVES, created on the riverside at spurn prompted these words:-

WAVES RHYTHM FLOWING TIDELINE SHORELINE PATTERN BEATING LIFE PULSE LINE CLEAN SIMPLE WATER SEA RIVER DRIFTING APART RIPPLE

No comments: